[PyKDE] Re: Black Adder licensing structure

Scott Prive scottprive at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 1 15:00:37 GMT 2001

Phil Thompson wrote:

> > > Your stepfather is right - somebody does have to pay for it - the
> > > author.
> >
> > Hmm. I think my point was he had the typical "outsider" view that equates "software on
> > Linux is free" with "that's not fair - you can't force people to work for free" (as in
> > 'gun-to-your-head' force?).

> > > You would need the Business Edition.
> >
> > Yikes. Change the name to Impersonal Edition... $299 to distribute FREE software is steep.
>
> Your software may be free, but you also want to distribute software
> which is not free, ie. Qt for Windows which isn't free to anybody. For
> Linux you can assemble the run-time elements for yourself, for free (ie.
> the GPLed Qt, and PyQt) - just as you can do today.
>
> > This is unusual -- typically licenses are divided into "commercial" and "non-commercial"
> > camps. My intended use is still non-commercial. A non-commercial license that ALSO can't be
> > distributed, is quite limiting in my opinion, and does not compare favorably with related
> > tools such as Borland Kylix or MS Visual Basic (platform availability ignored for purposes
> > of arguement).
>
> But it's what Trolltech do for Qt.

I still can't hide my disappointment, but at least I understand it as being out of your hands.

Is there an email address at Troll Tech regarding this issue? I have to take a step back and
remind myself... "it's their software; their license" but at the same time they may be
interested in hearing from fence-sitting users.

-Scott