[PyKDE] PyKDE - Is there any more being done on it?

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 06:05:57 GMT 2001

Matt Gerassimoff wrote:

> Phil,
>
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Phil Thompson wrote:
>
> > Matt Gerassimoff wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > After all the discussion about binary releases and such.  I forgot the
> > > $20000 question - Is PyKDE being updated?  There are alot of new classes
> > > and modules.  I would like to write some applets for kicker, kwin,
> > > kcontrol, etc.  I would also like to use KParts and some of the other nice
> > > new features of KDE 2.X.  Is there a time table?  Are you stopping support
> > > of it?
> >
> > I think I answered this in a previous reply. The problem at the moment
> > is time. I'm happy for somebody else to pick it up if they want to.
> > There is one SIP issue that probably needs fixing first - but maybe not
> > if KDE1 support is dropped (which would be sensible).
>
> What is that? If I may ask?  I would go along with dropping KDE1
> support.  The KDE guys no longer support it (I think).  I have been
> looking at sip currently.  I saw your posts about creating a simple sip
> shared library and it got me thinking (along with the rest of the mail on
> the mailing list).  I may be able to help (that is if you want
> help).  What do you need?

It's to do with the versioning system when you have imported modules.
You need the ability to relate the versions you specify in one module
(say kdecore) with the versions you specify in a module it imports (say
qt). Without this you can generate invalid code. Dropping support for
KDE1 might keep things simple enough for it not to be a problem.

> Oh, by the way, is there any way to add support for (operators) in
> sip?  It would be nice to manipulate things like QPoint with the __add__,
> __sub__, etc. operators in python.

SIP already supports these - have a look at how QStringList can be
treated like a Python list. I just haven't used it yet in all the places
I could.