[PyKDE] Black Adder licensing structure

Scott Prive scottprive at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 1 02:44:16 GMT 2001

> > True but that won't change if they aren't exposed to free software. I was telling my
> > stepfather about Linux (he uses Windows), and the comment I got was "how do you
> > MAKE people write software for free? Someone has to pay for it". It's a popular
> > misconception in the Windows space. What keeps a lot of people tied to Windows is not
> > IE or Office, but all these dinky Visual Basic applications they enounter (yes most
> > are shareware... forget free or commercial for the sake of arguement).
>
> Your stepfather is right - somebody does have to pay for it - the
> author.

Hmm. I think my point was he had the typical "outsider" view that equates "software on
Linux is free" with "that's not fair - you can't force people to work for free" (as in
'gun-to-your-head' force?).

> > Does the Personal license for Black Adder allow one to distribute "free
> > software" (even for Windows)? I just want to make little apps to catalog cheese,
> > insults, or a Hungarian Phrasebook. Most people I know still run Windows, but would
> > appreciate these type of apps.
>
> You would need the Business Edition.

Yikes. Change the name to Impersonal Edition... $299 to distribute FREE software is steep.

This is unusual -- typically licenses are divided into "commercial" and "non-commercial"
camps. My intended use is still non-commercial. A non-commercial license that ALSO can't be
distributed, is quite limiting in my opinion, and does not compare favorably with related
tools such as Borland Kylix or MS Visual Basic (platform availability ignored for purposes
of arguement).

Your software, your price... I'm just voicing my opinion as to why I cannot even consider
Black Adder. I had hoped the PE version allowed one to write free software.

Scott