[PyKDE] libdcopc missing??

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Dec 7 19:26:38 GMT 2001

On 07-Dec-01 Andre Esteves <aife at netvisao.pt> wrote:

> checking for KDE version >= 210 and < 220... yes
> checking for  library... -L/usr/lib/ -lkdecore

> all seems well but, on make run same problem as reported...

> -ldcopc /usr/lib/libDCOP.so -lSM -lICE -lX11  -Wl,-soname
> -Wl,libdcopcmodule-3.0alpha2.so -o
> .libs/libdcopcmodule-3.0alpha2.so
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldcopc
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> The lib libDCOP.so is in /usr/lib as specified. I have checked
> the directory.
> Maybe a bug in make or in ./configure generated makefiles?

Check to see if you really have libdcopc in /usr/lib (you should
have libdcopc.la, libdcopc.so, libdcopc.so.1 and libdcopc.so.1.0.0
- the middle two are symbolic links to the last). I downloaded one
set of KDE rpms that had libdcopc missing completely (but that was
for SuSE) - maybe Mandrake has that problem too. You should have
both libDCOP and libdcopc - they're two different things.
Oddly enough, KDE2 seems to work fine with this lib missing (??) -
at least in everyday use.

If libdcopc really is missing, I don't know of an easy way to fix
that, other than getting a different KDE2 version that has it, or
finding a copy for Mandrake somewhere else (I could send you a copy
but mine expects to be in /opt/kde2/lib, and I'm not sure relocating
it to /usr/lib would work).

Also, be sure you're using KDE2.1.1 or KDE2.1.2 (my missing lib was
in KDE2.2.0) - PyKDE2 for more recent versions of KDE (2.2.x) will
be available shortly, but the current version only supports 2.1.x.

PyKDE2 really won't work without libdcopc (need it to satisfy
dependencies) - if the missing lib is the problem, I should
probably test for it in ./configure.

Jim