[PyKDE] Help needed with SIP

gvermeul at labs.polycnrs-gre.fr gvermeul at labs.polycnrs-gre.fr
Tue Aug 21 12:05:48 BST 2001

Hi John

> Tried your final suggestions, no luck Im afraid.
>
> I wonder if its a Mandrake 8.0 thing. Is there a reason you have stayed at 7.2 ?
There are several reasons:
(1) I have a bi-pentium (Asus CUV4X-D) which refuses to run the SMP kernel
coming with Mandrake-8.0. It might be bad hardware (the Mandrake security
upgraded kernel 2.2.19 does not work either).
(2) I run several machines, at work and at home and sticking at one version
simplifies life. Also, I know Mandrake-7.2 very well (tweaked the startup
scripts)
(3) I played with Mandrake-8.0, see below. Of course it is very user friendly, but feels
slow! Reason might be that gcc-2.96 is less stable than gcc-2.95.
Therefore Mandrake-8.0 has been compiled with optimization -O2 instead of
-O3 as is the case with Mdk-7.2. In the good old days, they used -O5!

> Has anyone else had problems with Mandrake 8.0 and SIP ?

Well, I installed Mandrake 8.0 Frequent Update 1 on a machine to which I have
no access right now. I think, that I installed my PyQwt extensions (with
sip-2.4), but I am not quite sure.

> Thanks for all your help.

Well, to see how portable is my (distutils-)setup.py script, I will test it
on your CCC extension. I let you know, if/when it works, tell me if you want
to test it on your setup.

Gerard