[PyKDE] ANNOUNCE: SIP/PyQt/PyKDE v2.0pre1

Wayne Larsen wayne at analogsynthesis.com
Sun Sep 10 00:24:41 BST 2000

Great work, Phil.  I haven't had a chance to test out the new classes
yet, but here are a couple of notes on the build...

- For some reason, building sip tries to autodetect the location of qt,
but does not use the defined QTDIR that all qt programs seem to rely on
(as does PyQt).  No big deal, but it does seem odd.
- The debian package for qt2.2 that I was using (from kde.tdyc.com) has
a dependency on glx for some reason, so that was required to add in
order to build pyuic (-lGL).

After a quick test (and a restructuring of enums), things seem to be
working fine.  I'm looking forward to trying out the Canvas and Table.
I also played with pyuic a little bit, and it looked like it could
handle most of the stuff I threw at it, although I need to play more
with the layout abilities of that tool.  One thing that did mess it up
was images - if you put an icon view onto a widget, it puts a folder in
there by default.  That folder image was left in c++ syntax.

Maybe this is a more general question, but I am not sure how to set up
the file / Makefile structure in order to use pyuic properly.  Should
you subclass all of the generated classes to add actual code, and build
the generation into a makefile? -- or do people just use the
designer to do the basic grunt work of layout out a widget?    Anybody
have suggestions for a good methodology?

Cheers,
Wayne