[PyKDE] rpm installation of sip, pyqt, and pykde

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Wed Mar 15 14:41:26 GMT 2000

I sent this yesterday but it never showed up on the list.  My ISP mail
server has been unreliable so I'm sending it again.  My apologies if the
first post shows up also.

I lost my email archives in a recent upgrade to RH6.1, so I don't have
anyone to reply to.  But I managed to install the PyQt and PyKDE rpms
from the PyKDE page.  For anyone interested:

1)  Downloaded the *.src.rpm files for sip, PyQt and PyKDE.
2)  Build and install binary of sip:

	cd <downloadDir>
	rpm --rebuild sip-0.10.1-1.src.rpm
	cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
	rpm -uvh sip-0.10.1-1.i386.rpm

3)  Build and install binaries of PyQt

	cd <downloadDir>
	rpm --rebuild PyQt-0.10.1-1.src.rpm
	cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
	rpm -uvh PyQt-0.10.1-1.i386.rpm
	rpm -uvh PyQt-devel-0.10.1-1.i386.rpm

4) Install PyKDE source rpm; this opens it up to enable editing the spec
file.

	cd <downloadDir>
	rpm -uvh PyKDE-0.10-2.src.rpm

5) Edit /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/PyKDE.spec. Find the following line:

	Requires: PyQt = 0.10

and add ".1" to end, e.g.

	Requires: PyQt = 0.10.1

6)  Rebuild source rpm.

	cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
	rpm -bs PyKDE.spec

7)  Build and install binaries

	cd /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
	rpm --rebuild PyKDE-0.10-2.src.rpm
	cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/
	rpm -uvh PyKDE-0.10-2.i386.rpm
	rpm -uvh PyKDE-devel-0.10-2.i386.rpm

I am on RH6.1/KDE1.1.2/Python1.5.2.  (I actually do my installs with
kpackage).
Hope this helps someone.  Of course, installing the tarballs might be
easier but I like rpms so they can be easily uninstalled.