[PyKDE] trying to get PyKDE running on RedHat 6.1

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 19:38:10 GMT 2000

Warren Postma wrote:

> I tried to install some RPMs for PyQT and PyKDE and got the following error
> after trying to import qt:
>
> # python
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "/tmp/PyQt-0.10.1-root/usr/lib/python1.5/qt.py", line 16, in ?
> import libqtc
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libsip.so.1: undefined symbol: __pure_virtual
>
> I installed sip, pyqt, and pykde as given on the web page for pykde. I
> installed the binary rpms. One early sign of trouble was that after
> installing PyQT, PyKDE refused to isntall stating that PyQt was not
> installted. I used --nodeps option of rpm and installed anyways. Yet when I
> type rpm -q PyQt it returns the correct version of PyQt.
>
> Has anyone else got PyQT working, and what RPMs or SRPMs did you install?
>
> Warren Postma

The RPMs were my first attempt and built on a non-Red Hat system, so
there may be dependencies that aren't "standard".  Best thing to do is
to rebuild from the source tarballs - sip then PyQt then PyKDE.

I'll be building a Mandrake system soon so that may prove better for
creating RPMs in the future.