[PyKDE] Make on Mandrake 7.1

Huter, Jeffrey jhuter at boselaw.com
Tue Dec 19 00:14:13 GMT 2000

I can't seem to get SIP and/or PyQT to work on Linux Mandrake 7.1.  I've
tried the source distributions and the latest CVS snapshots.  I even
upgraded to Qt 2.2.2 which seemed to get PyQt to "make".  However, it still
fails on "make install" at the point of importing the qt module in python.
In particular, I get the following error whether I do a "make install" or
"from qt import *" from python.

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/qt.py", line 43, in ?
    import libqtc
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libsip.so.4: undefined symbol:
translate__C12QApplicationPCcN21

At first, I know that having qt-1.44 and qt-2.2 installed on the same system
were causing problems.  So I removed qt-1.44 including header files.  This
also did not work.  So I have since reinstalled qt-1.44 and just tell
"configure" where the correct qt files are located.

I'm almost to the point of giving up and coding in Windoze using PyQt
binaries or coding in Linux using Tkinter.

Any help would be appreciated.