[PyKDE] Timeline Question: Qt 2.2?

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 11:36:43 BST 2000

Wayne wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Trolltech just released a 2.2 preview, as well as making Qt Designer
> available.  Both 2.2 and Designer look extremely good, which leads to my
> question(s).
>
> I notice that you have been actively developing VeePee (strange name
> btw).  Also, on your roadmap, you mention that support for KDE 2 is
> next.  However I see some tasty new widgets (such as QCanvas) that I
> would love to see Python support for.  You also have listed window's
> support on your long list of things to do.  I would like to get a feel
> for what your plans are - is the roadmap accurate (i.e. KDE support
> next)? and do you have a projection or timeline on updating PyQt?
>
> A seperate item that I think would be extremely interesting would be to
> build python support for Qt Designer's .ui files.  Either a compiler
> could be built to generate python source from the .ui file, or a library
> created (a la libglade) to generate the widgets at runtime.  Is this
> feasible?  Anyone game to tackle something like this?

Good questions...

The delay in v0.13 has been the re-write of SIP's versioning system (the
most complex part of SIP).  This is now done and v0.13pre2 will be
released later today. This includes full support for Qt v2.1.1.

I may slip in v0.13pre3 including enhancements for classes implementing
the different Python object protocols (so you can treat a QStringList
like a Python list for example).  It may also include pyuic for
generating PyQt code from Qt Designer .ui files.

I'm guessing that Qt v2.2 will be out of beta before I release v0.13
(I'm on holiday next week), so 2.2 support will be added to a v0.13
pre-release.

The next thing is to add Windows support. I'm going to jack up the
release number at that point (to 2.0).

KDE2 support won't be started until KDE2 is finally released - so that
will be PyKDE v2.x.