[Eric] [eric6] small glitch with fix and some notes

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sat Nov 30 18:01:39 GMT 2019

[Fabian: if you want to leave the loop, let me know]

Am Freitag, 29. November 2019, 20:22:22 CET schrieb Hans-Peter Jansen:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. November 2019, 20:12:25 CET schrieb Hans-Peter Jansen:
> > Am Donnerstag, 28. November 2019, 19:27:51 CET schrieb Detlev Offenbach:
> >
> > Dear @audience, would you test these ill-behaviors and report, please?

I just reproduced this behavior with:

Leap 15.0:

Python 3.6.5, 64-Bit
Qt 5.9.4
PyQt 5.10.1
sip 4.19.7
QScintilla 2.10.4
WebEngine 61.0.3163.140
WebKit 602.1
eric6 19.04 (rev. abfed806d4ae)

Leap 15.1:

Python 3.6.5, 64-Bit
Qt 5.9.4
PyQt 5.10.1
sip 4.19.7
QScintilla 2.10.4
WebEngine 61.0.3163.140
WebKit 602.1
eric6 19.04 (rev. abfed806d4ae)

Leap 15.2 (Alpha Build 523.2 from 2019/11/18):

Python 3.6.5, 64-Bit
Qt 5.12.5
PyQt 5.13.1
sip 4.19.19
QScintilla 2.10.4
WebKit 602.1
eric6 19.04 (rev. abfed806d4ae)

Created two new files (shown as utf-8 text in status line), added some üzkül
text, and switched tabs with shortcut Ctrl-Alt-TAB: cursor disappeared. Typing
doesn't work until I click into the editor widget. (All tests done in
Virtualbox 6.0.14, 15.1 and 15.2 are pristine ootb installations with just
additional selection of eric and python3-Markdown packages, and all updates
installed).

It starts to smell like a logical problem, somewhere between QScintilla and
Eric.

@Detlev: the openSUSE default setup for eric uses the builtin defaults, as
provided from you¹. So it should behave similar for most current out of the
box installations of everything Linux/X11. (Ubuntu makes a difference of
course due to their policy to patch *everything*, that doesn't refuge in trees
on count to three).

To be fair: openSUSE uses one QScintilla patch, that adapts to the Qt5
installation, and Qt5 (as of Tumbleweed) contains a couple of (essential)
patches. The one, that comes nearest this issue is 0001-QWidget-setFocusProxy-
adjust-focus-widget-properly.patch, that fixes the input field behavior of
QWebEngine (as mentioned already).

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/KDE:Qt5/libqt5-qtbase

Since the issue spans from 5.9 to 5.13, the arguments being a Qt issue
dissolve.

Cheers,
Pete

¹) Reminds me, that I need to disable the check for updates by default.
   Would be nice, if you could point my to the bool in question.