[Eric] Eric6 and Raspberry Pi

Geert Vancompernolle geert.vancompernolle at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 10:07:26 GMT 2019

Hi Detlev,

Sorry it took a while before I picked up this thread, but lack of time
didn't allow me to take next steps.

So far, I've done the following steps:

 1. I installed newest version of Eric6 (currently installed version:
    19.01) on my Windows10 PC
 2. I copied the directory "DebugClients" (located in
    ./Lib/side-packages/eric6) from my Windows10 PC onto my RPi in the
    directory /home/pi/eric6.  So, I have /home/pi/eric6/DebugClients on
    my Raspberry Pi
 3. I created a Python test directory on the Raspberry Pi like so:
    /home/pi/eric6/remotetests and I've put a very simple Python script
    in there: hello.py.
    This is the content:
         def main():
             print('Hello World')

         if __name__ == '__main__':
             main();
 4. I've created an Eric6 project on my WindowsPC in the directory
    E:\AppData\Programming\Python\Eric6\RemoteRpiTest\ and added the
    same hello.py to the project.
    I find it a strange thing I have to do this, I was expecting to use
    the Python file on the Raspberry Pi to start debugging.  So, what I
    tried was to add source files to the project coming from my remote
    Raspberry Pi.  But that gave an error (log attached). I've also sent
    the error log to the e-mail address
    'eric-bugs at eric-ide.python-projects.org'.
    Since that trick didn't work, I kept my local Python file.
 5. In the Eric6 project, I've set the Debugger Properties window like
    in the attached file "Eric6RemoteDebuggerSettings.png":
     1. I've referred to the DebugClients directory (and file) for the
        Debug Client section
     2. My remote host is accessible from my Windows10 PC (command
        prompt) without having to pass my password using the command ssh
        'pi at 192.168.123.57'.  So, should be fine...
     3. I've done path translations as per the image attached.

However, when running the debugger, I don't see any feedback on the IDE
and also can't debug...

Then I tried the following:

 1. Opening a DOS command box on my Windows10 PC
 2. Run the command "ssh pi at 192.168.123.57 python3
    /home/pi/eric6/remotetest/hello.py"
 3. That worked perfectly: I could run the Python script on my Raspberry
    Pi and get the results back on my DOS prompt.  So, clearly the
    remote part is accessible using SSH and without providing a password.
 4. I then added that command into the field "Remote Execution" of the
    Debugger Properties dialogue box in Eric6 and tried to debug the
    project again.
    Result: error message saying "Debugger backend could not be started"
    (see attached image "DebuggerBackendCouldNotBeStarted.png").

I'm a bit "out of inspiration" now.  Is there anything wrong in the
setup(s) above?  What else am I missing?

Best,
--Geert

--
Best rgds,