[Eric] A naive question about the last mile to the goal.

Steve Barnes gadgetsteve at live.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 07:39:16 GMT 2019

If you are using py2exe (windows only), pyinstaller, cxfreeze, etc. to bundle your python code into an independent entity then it is easy enough in most IDEs, including EricIDE, and even some editors to add invocation of your bundling process to the External Tools (most IDEs have such a thing  by one name or another).

Of course for a lot of python a package is released into the wild (hopefully following testing) performing a sequence of version control actions, (e.g. commit followed by tag then release on GitHub the first 2 of which again most decent IDEs can do via their VCS integration), and the last I have yet to see an IDE for any language perform. Python does have the option of releasing direct to PyPi which can be scripted so could be added to the External Tools menu.

Finally there is, of course, the option of using a CI/CD workflow to automate the build, test, package, release workflow but again for just about any language this is external to the IDEs and python actually has more tools to assist with this than most languages.

To sum up - don’t blame Eric, nor Python, for the lack of a final step blame the lack of knowledge of how to deploy python packages & programmes.