[Eric] Autocompletion behaviour

Christos Sevastiadis csevast at auth.gr
Tue Nov 6 11:07:12 GMT 2018

Hi to everybody,

The cooperation of Eric with venv (deprecated pyvenv), virtualenv (Python
2) and Conda virtual environment managers has to be established properly.
So, I investigated more in Eric's coding-assistance, i.e. Auto-completion,
Call-tips and Code-documentation.

I found out the following:

Eric coding-assistance functionalities recognize Python, PyQt5, and
projects modules and not the packages which are installed in any virtual
environment, even in the base environment of the default Python path
installation. I suppose that the Python and PyQt5 recognition is because of
the corresponding installed Eric's APIs.

Jedi coding-assistance functionalities have mixed behavior. It recognizes
PyQt5 and project modules in any way, as Eric coding-assistance does.
Additionally can recognize Conda environment installed packages under
specific setup and Eric starting conditions. The best behavior is when the
Conda environment packages are installed in base environment of default
installation path of Python, combined with starting Eric after setting the
Conda environment variables for the under consideration virtual
environment, i.e. prepending them in PATH environment variable. If only the
Conda environment packages are installed in the base environment, Jedi does
not recognize properly all the imported methods, i.e. some of them are
recognized as "attribute" (one gray box) and not as "method" (two yellow
boxes). Only when recognized as "method" their Call-tip and
Code-documentation is showed.

Rope coding-assistance functionalities are failing in everything except in
PyQt5 recognition, in which is very slow. In my previous messages I was
mislead about Rope's behavior, because I was using Rope's coding-assistance
in combination with Eric's. I suggest the Rope integration with Eric to be
focused only in Refactoring functionality, in which I already fronted in a
lot of problems in my multi virtual environment setup. Rope should be
removed from any other functionalities, not to mislead and confuse the
users, specially the Eric newcomers and Python beginners. I lost a lot of
time struggling to make Rope to work.

Till the problems will be resolved I am working with setting in the
preferences the Eric and the Jedi for Auto-complete and Call-tips, and the
Jedi for Code-documentation, with installed some packages in both virtual
environment and base Python path, and starting Eric with the Conda virtual
environment variables settings.

I hope that the all this information is helpful for everybody.

Regards
Christos