[Eric] Seg Fault On Opening Dialog Box

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue May 23 10:18:08 BST 2017

Hi Ben,

On Freitag, 19. Mai 2017 16:27:08 Helen Ready wrote:
> Let me start by saying Thank You for the amazing IDE, Eric, and its
> community.

Welcome to the club.

> Recently, I decided to take the plunge into Linux with CentOS 7
> as my first. After installing Python 3.6.1 from source and setting up a
> virtual enviroment, I naturally went to install the Eric IDE as my next
> step.

Installing Python from source need some careful considerations about
 * what _other_ versions of Python are installed in the system?
 * which Python(s) are qscintilla, sip, PyQt build on..
because some parts of it (Qt, qscintilla) cannot be fenced in the VE, they're
pure C++...

OTOH; your traceback, although missing symbols, points to some interference
between Qt and Gtk (it looks, it crashes, where the native Gtk file dialog is
bent into Qt...).

Please try to execute python examples/dialogs/standarddialogs.py (from PyQt5),
and check, if the QFileDialog functions behave.

Pete