[Eric] Praise & (stupid?) question

Steve Barnes gadgetsteve at live.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 06:30:46 BST 2017

On 06/07/2017 00:18, Mike Morris wrote:
> On 07/04/2017 11:47 PM, Burkhard Schilling wrote:
>> Oh sorry, i mean: "add new source Directory" . is it what you need?
>
> Certainly sounds like it, doesn't it? But it's not... this does not
> actually add a Directory; it will find any source files in the specified
> (pre-existing) directory, and add them to the Project. But, no, it does
> not actually create a directory.
>
> Right-click's "New package" *DOES* create a directory, but it has two
> side effects which are not always desirable:
>
>   * Adding the directory to the Project (not what I want when creating
>     dirs for project management, obsolete versions, dev notes, etc)
>   * Creating an __init__ file in the directory... a minor annoyance
>     since it's zero bytes, but could conceivably cause mischief by
>     adding a package to the namespace unintentionally.
>
> Right now I'm just using OS tools to create new, non-package dirs... I'm
> just surprised that eric doesn't appear to support that directly...
>
> Thanks,
>
> MikeM

One trick that works in most IDEs and on most platforms is to create a
new file, start editing that file, click "File->Save As" and in the
resulting dialogue go to the parent directory that you wish to add a new
directory to and then right click and select New->Directory then type in
the name of the new directory. This will create a new directory even if
you then select cancel on the file save dialogue.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

---