[Eric] eric debug mode appearance

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Apr 18 20:36:20 BST 2017

Hi Tobias, hi Detlev,

On Dienstag, 18. April 2017 20:56:25 Tobias Rzepka wrote:
> Hello Pete,
>
> the first two wishes are possible. Maybe it'll be the easiest, when there
> will be an extra window, showing the actual code line(s) and the
> disassembled bytecode, like the outputs of dis.dis / dis.distb.

The idea of integration with the editor is two-fold:
 * make the dis.dis() output easily available during development, where
   the 2 window solution would make the feature more expensive to use
   (scrolling/locating the python lines in the dis.dis() output)
 * similar, make the dis.distb() feature more approachable/obvious in the
   exception handling case

> But stepping through single bytecodes isn't possible because the debug
> events (call, line, exception, ...) are only fired on new lines (see
> ceval.c -> maybe_call_line_trace). It would require to change the Python VM
> itself :-(

Yes, that was my guts feeling already ;)

To my humble knowledge, the two possible features form a unique selling point
already.

Cheers,
Pete