[Eric] Eric6 possible without python3/Qt5?

Koala koala.oso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 14:45:24 BST 2016

Hi,

we have no plans of using python3 anytime soon. Current system is a
RHEL7.2 Linux box with
python 2.7,
Qt4-4.8.5,
sip-4.18.1.tar.gz,
PyQt-x11-gpl-4.11.4.tar.gz,
QScintilla_gpl-2.9.3.tar.gz
and no Qt5 nor python3.

Is it possible to install and run Eric(6) without py3/Qt5?

There is a box that has Eric 6.1.4 on it that used to work but stopped
working and it never had Qt5 nor python3 on it, unless some undocumented
changes exist. However, Eric no longer works on that system (Error:
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt4/Qsci.so: undefined symbol:
_ZTI18QsciLexerFortran77  - which hints to Qt5 functions that are not
present).

If it is impossible, then I can stop pulling my hair. However, if it is
possible, then any tips are very welcome.

Cheers,
Art