[Eric] Installing Eric5

Hans Schmidt z0idberg at gmx.de
Sun Jan 12 06:20:50 GMT 2014

Hello,

when you say that you are a beginner in PyQt, maybe it would first be
advisable to stick to PyQt4. I know that using the latest software is
nice, but there are much more tutorials for PyQt4 than for PyQt5 (I
don’t know of any). Also, if you just install Python 3 + PyQt4 on
Windows, Eric runs fine.
If you care about Linux, (almost) none Linux distributions ship PyQt5 in
the standard repositories yet.

Although I guess that PyQt5 has some advantages over PyQt4, for a
beginner PyQt4 may be sufficient (especially because all of the
documentation is still for PyQt4). When you are more versed in PyQt4,
switching to PyQt5 would be easier (and at that point it might be easier
to install).

Another options would be to create a Linux virtual machine, where you
can install both PyQt4 and PyQt5 at the same time relatively easy. I
just tried this with OpenSUSE, where PyQt4 is in the standard
distribution and PyQt5 is available from a custom repository. It works
fine when installing it parallely, unlike Windows where you have to
build PyQt5 from source.