[Eric] New to Eric, I want to make it work, but why is the documentation so sparse???

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Wed Jul 4 03:14:49 BST 2012

On 07/03/2012 12:29 PM, Karen Windus wrote:
> Hi-
>

> I'm new to Eric.  I have now spent 1.5 hrs looking for answers to what
> should be two relatively minor things:
>
> 1) How to upgrade from 4 to 5.3 on linux

There's no point for you to do so, considering that you want to use
Django plugins (presumably developing Django projects) and Django
doesn't support Python3 - Eric5 is for Python3 according to the docs.

If I'm wrong then an explanation is surely in order because that's what
the website says.

> 2) How to install the damn plugins so when I start a new project, I can
> designate it as a Django project.

I gave up too. As there is no way to correct the dead link to the plugin
repo until you have a more recent version of Eric4 (without going and
hardcoding it into the source).

Here's how you can upgrade to the latest version of Eric4 from an
earlier version of Eric4 though:

<code>
# mkdir -p /usr/local/src/eric4; cd /usr/local/src/eric4
# wget
http://hivelocity.dl.sourceforge.net/project/eric-ide/eric4/stable/4.5.4/eric4-4.5.4.tar.gz
# tar zxvf eric4-3.5.4.tar.gz
# cd eric4-4.5.4
# python install.py
</code>

That should do it :)

> The documentation is really funky on the eric site.  Is it just me?

Nope. It's not just you. But like the maintainer says, we're free to
contribute docs and plug-ins if we are so inclined.

The bummer is, I've seen several people mention over the last two or
three years that they were going to write and contribute a plugin for
git if no one else has already - but those plugins still don't exist and
the maintainer himself stated not more than a few days ago to me that he
will never develop a git plugin himself.

Does anyone know of a git plugin for Eric4? One is sorely needed.

 Why
> can't there just be a Here's how to upgrade and Here's how to import
> plugins area?

Well upgrading is pretty obvious when you extract the tarball, but yes
the only mention is for installing, and there's no mention that it is
okay to upgrade directly instead of removing the old version before
installing the new version - but it is okay to just upgrade directly by
running install.py when a previous version of Eric4 is installed.

You can manipulate URLs for the plugin repos in the new version of Eric4
- - you'll see for yourself once you complete the upgrade :)

> Thanks for any help,
>
> Karen

You too Karen :)

Kindest regards,