[Eric] Tasks markers for non-project files

Leonardo Giordani giordani.leonardo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 08:24:35 BST 2011

2011/10/18 Detlev Offenbach <detlev at die-offenbachs.de>

> Am Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2011, 08:21:06 schrieb Leonardo Giordani:
> > Ok, I'm fine with global tasks, but I do not understand why tasks for a
> > non-project file do not disappear when that file is closed.
> > They are loaded with that file ad they should appear in task manager as
> long
> > as I keep that file open, doesn't they?
> >
> > Perhaps I do not understand the behavior you wanted, but I feel
> > unconfortable to see in task manager a list of tasks which belongs to
> files
> > I do not manage.
>
> That is a valid point. However, how should we handle tasks in files that
> you
> manage but don't want to place in a project (e.g. a collection of little
> maybe
> unrelated scripts)? Maybe the global behavior should be configurable
> (selection would be the current behavior and the way you expect it). That
> could go into the current lines of development (probably eric5 first).

Thank you for you answer.

I see no problems with files I do not put in a project: when I open them,
their tasks appear, when I close them they tasks disappear.
Eric is not a task manager, so it should not try to act as a task
repository: if the file is open I'm interested in its tasks.
"Global task" to me means only a task that is extracted from a file not
belonging to the project.

I think we should simply run the task-extractor when opening a file. When a
project is opened we run through all files and run the task-extractor
irrespective of the status of the file (opened or closed).
When closing a file we have to remove its tasks only if it does not belong
to the project.

I'm going to look at the code to see if I can come with a concrete proposal.

Regards

Leo