[Eric] Eric auto completion guide

Marc (Claranet) marcadams at clara.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 00:09:21 BST 2011

Hi All;

I've tried a number of Python editors, and I would really like to settle
with Eric - I think it's a great editor. However, the only downside is
the auto completion. This is probably an issue on my side, but I cannot
resolve it. I use Eric (v. latest stable) under windows and Linux.

I have compiled and included the eric.api, and have auto completion enabled.
However, I'm struggling to get any sensible auto completion to work.

For example, none of the following situations provide auto completion:

1) - I believed eric.api provided the standard python  library api, so
why doesn't the following work :
import os
os. <CNTL + SPACE>

2) class api
class MyClass
     def my_method(self):
        pass

if __name__ == '__main__':
      test = MyClass()
      test. <CNTL + SPACE>

in the above, auto complete will not work when referencing "test"
Also auto completion will not work for :
"test".<CNTL + SPACE>

Can someone please give me some advice on how to get this working - I've
really like to make Eric my default editor.
A step by step guide on how to successfully set-up auto completion on
Eric would be fantastic !

Many thanks for any help,
adamski