[Eric] Eric5 and Spyder

Janwillem van Dijk jwevandijk at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 13 09:41:12 BST 2011

I have been using Eric5 for some while. I like it in particular because
of the simple way it offers for generating python code for the PyQt4
slots and signals. It relieves one from the need to realy understand
slots, signals, events et cetra. However, I never could get code
completion to work properly. If I e.g. type sys. then I only get the sys
methods already used in my own source. In Spyder on the other hand you
get all sys methods listed which is for somebody with a memory like mine
very convenient. In Spyder you can start QT4Designer but after that it
stops; I cannot find more PyQt4 integration in Spyder. So for now it
seems Eric5 for the PyQt4 part and Spyder for all other source editing.
There must be a better solution. Any suggestions welcome.
Janwillem
P.S. My backgound: 15 years Delphi-1 through 7 and since a few years
Python (on linux) mainly command line + matplotlib.
Placed on both Eric and Spyder lists