[Eric] Eric4 QT configuration

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Aug 27 10:33:10 BST 2011

On Freitag, 26. August 2011, Claude Cherton wrote:
> Dear Pietro Moras,
>
> I thank you for your help. I'm sorry for my late answer: U was abroad for
> two weeks.
>
> Q1) Eric version along with used other software are as follows:
> Python
> 2.6.7
> Qt
> 4.7.3
> PyQt
> 4.8.4
> sip
> 4.12.2
> QScintilla
> 2.4.6
> eric4
> 4.4.8 (r3828)

You should upgrade to a recent eric4 release.

> Q2) I just followed instructions of tutorial at
> <http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/tutorials/MiniBrowser/index.html>
> Everything goes fine up to the moment I ask to create the main window:
> after closing dialog asking me its name and where to save it, Qt designer
> didn't open.
>
> However, from that time, I have make some progress.
>
> 1) At terminal, launching Eric4, I notice it didn't find designerqt4. In
> fact, looking in my "/Developer/Applications/Qt/" directory, I found
> designer was named "Qt designer". I just change its name and the above
> error was fixed.

It seems, that macPorts uses a different installation scheme than eric
expects. Due to the fact, that I don't own a Mac (donations welcome ;) ) I
can't work on this. I hope, a Mac owner can support here. Currently eric
expects the Qt tools in a path assembled from the one entered in the Qt config
page appended by "bin/<tool name>.app" or just "/<tool name>.app" if the first
doesn't exists. That is the scheme used by Mac OS X bundles. The entries for
prefix/postfix on the Qt config page are used to modify the tool name (e.g.
Ubuntu uses this to have Qt3 and Qt4 installed in parallel by appending -qt4
to the tools (e.g. designer-qt4).

> 2) After that, I made the main window in Qt, save it and came back to eric.
> Trying to compile the form, I got a message that "pyuic4" was not
> available. I copy it to an accessible path and it was also fixed.

The path to the tools should be in the search path (e.g. PATH environment
variable).

> I have not yet been further.
>
> However, it remains three warning messages at the terminal when launching
> eric4:
>
> Warning: translation file 'qt_en_US'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
> Warning: translation file 'eric4_en_US'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
> Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_en_US'could not be loaded.
> Using default.

You may ignore these warning. They are just telling, that there is no
translation available for your locale, which is normal in the case of English
because that is built-in. To get rid of these you may set the desired language
on the Interface config page.