[Eric] A glitch in warning of "unused" files

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Fri Aug 19 22:41:07 BST 2011

On Friday 19 August 2011 21:31:46 Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Freitag, 19. August 2011, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> > Hi Detlev,
> >
> > The attached script shows how a required file is marked as unused with a
> > warning.  The warning is
> >
> > Warning: "qrc_hi" imported but unused.
> >
> > However, in line 27 of hi.py the qrc_hi is used, though the reference to
> > it is indirect and in a rather obscure format.  I attach the script
> > hi.py, hi.qrc, hi.ui and an icon from a  small collection of icons, to
> > enable an independent verification. The XML file hi.qrc shows how the
> > "document-new.png" fits in the small package of icons.
> >
> > The debugger check of unused files and variables has proved itself
> > extremely useful, at least for me - I was really surprised how many times
> > I had unused variables and files - thank you for such a useful facility!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Al.
>
> Hi,
>
> due to the fact, that the magic of Qt resource scripts is activated by
> purely importing them, the checker sees this situation as an unused
> import. There is no way (known to me) how to recognize this situation.
> However, if you mark the import with a comment of "# __IGNORE_WARNING__",
> the warning provided by pyflakes for the "unused" import will be ignored.
> With this comment one can suppress false warnings everywhere in the code.
> This special comment must be in the line to be ignored.
>
> Regards,
> Detlev

Hi,

Thank you for a constructive answer.

I accept your answer without reservation - I agree that the resources in Qt
are a bit of magic...  The ignore warning "comment" is a good solution as long
as it applies only to the next warning.  I would not want to loose the
warnings completely as I am fond of them!

Regards,
Al.