[Eric] Subversion

Jaime Seuma jaims.seuma at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 16:40:22 BST 2010

On 3 June 2010 13:00, Narciso, Rui wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:11:57 +0200
> From: "NARCISO, Rui" <RUI.NARCISO at airbus.com>
> To: "eric at riverbankcomputing.com" <eric at riverbankcomputing.com>
> Subject: Re: [Eric] subversion
>  <6454_1275552739_4C0763E3_6454_66_1_7B4A1AAF93133E4986F571C4D269C4CF2B5C83893B at DE0-MAILMBX-P13.res.airbus.corp

> Hi
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear.
> I know how to use Eric... I'v been using it for a really long time now.
>
> What I was asking for was help on using subversion from within eric.
> Creating branches, efficiently switching between branches; merging and
> resolving conflicts, etc.
> I've managed to get the basics: commit, checkout, diff, but not the
> advanced stuff ...
>
> Cheers
> Rui

I'd go for Subversion first, understand the basics, get the hang of it,
understand the more advanced stuff, get some proficiency with it, and then
I'd learn how to use any GUI client (the svn eric4 plugin in this case).
What I mean is that it is maybe good to isolate disciplines here. The use of
a VCS is -IMHO- a must, but no necessarily for writing code. I use it all
the time even for documentation. Once you master the subset of Subversion
that is of most use to you, then you'll be able to use it from inside eric4
in not time.
That said, in the LogParser tutorial I explain some basic stuff, included
the use of the Svn plugin. But of course I didn't want to get into merging,
branches and the like. This is Svn stuff, not eric4 stuff.

HIH

Jaime