[Eric] navigator pane

Kamil Páral kamil.paral at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 21:48:22 BST 2009

Dne 19.10.2009 22:30, Hans-Peter Jansen napsal(a):
> On Monday 19 October 2009, 21:21:47 Kamil Páral wrote:
>
>> Dne 19.10.2009 19:50, detlev napsal(a):
>>
>>> Sure, just use the file browser. Opening (expanding) a Python file will
>>> show the internal structure.
>>>
>>> Detlev
>>>
>> I must say the the navigator in geany/spyder/eclipse is a little more
>> handy.
>>

> What's missing - could you elaborate?
>
> Pete

Well on my mind was simply the fact, that if you don't want to use
projects, just open a python file, you don't have the navigator
immediately available. You must go through the structure in the file
browser pane and find your file, which may be deep in the hiearchy. This
approach also forces you to adjust horizontal toolbar, because the file
tree eats your space from the left. If you have more files opened and
switch tabs from one to another, the navigator does not change, you also
have to manually navigate from the old file to the new one. All of this
you have to do everytime you open Eric, it doesn't remember.

It seems to me that having a single pane just for
classes/methods/attributes, that would show everytime
(project/non-project), automatically updated if tabs are switched, would
be a big advantage. Just as in other IDEs.

But I don't want to say that it should be changed or something. Maybe
I'm just used to a different kind of work approach :)