[Eric] Request: easier install process, please

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jul 24 00:54:05 BST 2009

On 23.07.09 19:33:41, Robert Withrow wrote:
> I've brought this up before.  Current versions of Eric are unavailable
> in the package repos of any distro.

That statement is simply wrong. I can see eric just fine here in Debian.

> This means it must  be manually
> installed, which makes using anything other than old versions a
> non-starter in any Enterprise environment.

How would a distro package change that? The eric version shipped by the
distro would be equally old.

> And Eric seems to always
> require dependencies that don't line up with anything in a standard
> distro,

Now, I haven't been following eric development very closely in the last 1-2
years, but I was under the impression that the only required dependency of
eric is PyQt4 (and hence Qt4) and thats a pretty standard thing on any
distro (well, except ubuntu maybe, but thats not a distro anyway IMHO)

> Just getting this into things like Ubuntu backports (for example) would
> solve all those problems.  Being sensitive to package lineups in key
> distros would be an added plus.

I don't think the installation procedure of eric is a reason why Ubuntu
doesn't ship it. Ubuntu itself simply focusses on Gnome/Gtk, hence in its main
repository there's no Qt or KDE, you'll have to add additional repositories
for that. And from what I've heard kubuntu isn't as well maintained as
ubuntu itself...

In fact the installation procedure of eric is one of the easiest on this
planet, it really doesn't get any easier than a simple command (possibly
invoked as root).

Andreas

--
You will gain money by an immoral action.