[Eric] Request: easier install process, please

Dan Bullok dan.eric at bullok.com
Thu Jul 23 23:49:40 BST 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009 14:15:43 Arlo Belshee wrote:
> I really don't mean to whine. I'm actually only sending you this email in
> the hope that something will get fixed.
>
> Also, this email is long. Sorry. However, this is the only time that you'll
> hear about my complaint - because I run into problems long before I become
> invested in your application. Thus, I want to give enough background that
> you understand why I, and probably a lot of people like me, don't use Eric.
> ... rest of message deleted for brevity.

Just to let you know Detlev, I disagree with just about everything in Arlo's
message.  Eric is super-easy to install on Linux, Mac, and Windows.  I've
never had the least bit of trouble doing it.  And bundling a complete
python+qt+whatever else with Eric is just a silly suggestion, in my opinion.
Anyone developing software should be able to easily handle any of the
complexities introduced by Eric depending on other software.  And having to
run "python install.py" from within the Eric install directory is not onerous
in the least.  I always have a separate "vanilla" OS to test for customer
installation issues.  That's just not an issue for me.  Nor is having to
install the libs that Eric depends on.  As a developer, I need them anyway.

I think any effort spent making the install process easier would be time
better spent working on ANY other part of Eric.  If that means fewer users, I
for one, will sleep just fine at night knowing that.

-Dan