[Eric] Re: Calltips keyboard shortcut.

Zak McKracken zak_mckracken at openoffice.org
Sat Jul 4 22:41:22 BST 2009

Am 05.04.2008, 14:24 Uhr, schrieb Detlev Offenbach
<detlev at die-offenbachs.de>:

> On Sonntag, 30. März 2008, objectref wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It is very nice that when we type the "(" on a, let's say PyQt method,
>> we
>> get the calltips information but when we move the cursor somewhere else
>> and
>> return to this point, how we can display them again?? I have not found
>> and
>> keyboard shortcut for this and the only way I found is remove and then
>> retype the "("... :(
>>

> Not having a keyboard shortcut for this function is an omission, that
> will be
> corrected. I've added it to the 4.2 TODO list.

It's more than a year since then, I'm using version 4.2.1 (because that's
what came with my openSuse 11), and somehow I can't seem to get those
calltips the way they were meant to work.
All I ever get are suggestions of words and/or names that are typed
somewhere in the same module.

So say I have defined a function self.whatever (self, pa, pb)
I then call it somewhere in the same module.

If I then start typing se... I see "self" in a list. If I then continue
past the "." I get a list of things to go with the "self." if I continue
to "self.whatever(" there's nothing except a closing parenthesis.
What's even more funny: If I add the text "self.blabla" somewhere inside a
comment, I'll even get that as a suggestion, but nothing about the
parameters the call needs, neither a docstring to go with it.

Having read the latest posts in this thread I suspect that the error is on
my side (either me or my computer). Is there maybe a setting that I
overlooked?

Being a not-so-frequent-programmer I really profit from calltips
containing:
1. all the methods/parameters of an object
2. the docstring of the same method, once I've chosen it. Painful having
to open the according module everytime and look everything up.

As I said, I suspect that eric can already do that and I only need to make
it, but in my case it doesn't work. could it have to do with the
"assistant" plug-in?
If the above is not actually a function of eric ... could you implement
it?  Pwease?

  Cheers,

   Zak