[Eric] How to use PyLint? + some requests for enhancements

Dmitrey dmitrey15 at ukr.net
Mon Feb 2 06:29:38 GMT 2009

Hi Eric developers,
first of all thank you very much for the excellent IDE.
I had mentioned it as most recommended IDE in
http://openopt.org/About

Could you answer how to use PyLint plugin? I had asked it in
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-May/491967.html, then
I had downloaded it (today, with latest Eric 4.2.5) as zip-file, I had
installed it (both operations via Eric GUI), still I have only 2 options
in Project -> Check: syntax and indentations (even afetr Eric restart).
I have Linux KUBUNTU 8.10, and same operation doesn't work with Eric
obtained from aptitude (soft updates channel).

Let me also mention some words about Eric enhancements:

1) first of all, it's very inconvenient to scroll file tabs.
Unfortunately, mouse wheel doesn't work for the operation, it would be
very nice to have this working.

2) when "debug" is invoked, Debug-Viewer shows (by default) 1st tab of
the window (file brawser), while I have to switch to 3rd tab (Local
variables). I had done the operation zillions times!! I hope you'll
change default (1st) tab to "Local variables".

3) I had deal with MATLAB, and I have to confess they have MUCH better
handling of bugs and warnings than Eric IDE. Eric has bug image, that is
binded to a certain line of code, that isn't showed all the time
(sometimes it requires much time for scrolling a big file to locate the
line of code marked with bug). MATLAB has slim horizontal lines that are
placed in 0-100% of showed edit window height, so it doesn't matter
which lines of code I'm observing for now, I don't have to scroll code,
when I see horizontal mark I just press it and editor moves cursor to
the problem line of code. BTW there are 2 types of the lines in matlab :
red (error) and yellow (warning). Sometimes they appear "on-fly", i.e.
even before user invokes "save" or "run" buttons.
Also, MATLAB has square image in the top of file (above area related to
breakpoints) about 1 x 1 sm, and that one is: red (there is at least one
error), yellow (there is at least one warning), gray (no issues found).
When I press it, cursor is moved to next code line with an issue (i.e.
error or warning).

4)MATLAB debugger has another one serious advantage vs Eric. When I stop
somewhere and begin to observe stack, in MATLAB shell I'm always placed
into workspace binded with currently observed function from stack; in
Eric I'm always in the top of stack. Of course, I can check a value of a
variable via 3rd tab of Debug-viewer (local variables), but sometimes
(for my complex projects- most of times) it's too long to locate,
because lots of variables are in the window and I have very deeply
nested structures with tens or even hundreds of fields. Also, I can't
invoke something like p.checkDerivatives(variable_from_current_stack_func)

Thank you for Eric IDE once again,
Regards,
Dmitrey