[Eric] pysvn versus svn

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Wed Aug 5 21:47:26 BST 2009

Dear Detlev,

I'm in the process of preparing full featured eric packages via openSUSE
build service (http://build.opensuse.org). Eg.: all of erics dependencies
are fairly current: pylint (logilab-common, logilab-astng), rope, besides
the usual suspects ;-)

Then I remembered, that I noticed "pysvn", when eric asked me the last time,
which version control system I want to use. Since I do use svn, and I've an
issue since day one with it and eric: when I'm connecting to a local svn
server via http for the first time, I have to provide an password, which is
fetched from the console: yes, right, I need to run eric from an xterm,
setup the project, and enter the pw in the xterm, when erics svn setup
dialog asks me for it...

Now I ask myself, is that fixed, when using pysvn, or more general, could
you briefly outline the difference of both implementations (from users
perspective). The only other issue, I have with svn is, that it doesn't
list the tags after eric's termination anymore.

BTW, if you create an Novell account, you can watch this effort here:
home:frispete:branches:KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop

Hopefully, I find time to contribute to eric codewise, too. I've a few ideas
here and there (e.g. a "smart" dialog for check-in with the diff in the
advanced section, since I nearly always look at the diff before I commit).

BTW, do you have an idea, who's in change of governing, that Linux-users
don't want shortcuts for dialog buttons - that's just ridiculous.

E.g., take svn diff/check-in dialogs in a typical work flow: look at the
diff, enter some log text, and then it takes 4 tabs to get to the "Safe"
button. Another dialog opens with the commit message, which has "Close"
and "Cancel", while the still opened diff has "Save" and "Close". Notice
the while the "Close" button swapped, which is unfortunate, the
commits "Cancel" is disabled, thus forcing the user to push "Close" left
(in commit) - "Close" right (in diff). Inconvenient.

Probably, I'm going to create a petition against using Qt's DialogButtonBox
for these reasons.

Sorry for being so gabby today.

Kind regards,
Pete