[Eric] Using PyQt snapshots, eric crashes when launched from the kde start menu

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 21:21:03 BST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Detlev Offenbach <
> detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
>
>> On Samstag, 11. April 2009, Darren Dale wrote:
>> > On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Detlev Offenbach
>> > <detlev at die-offenbachs.de

>> command

>> menu

>> terminal"
>> "Warning:
>> more

>> and
>> in

>> as

>> --debug,

>> "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/eric4/Project/ProjectBrowserModel.py"

>> in
>> "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/eric4/Utilities/__init__.py",

>> > Thanks Detlev. I'm running the svn checkout, updated just now, on a
>> system
>> > with no ~.eric4/ or .config/Eric4/, and that change brings me to a
>> > different error:
>> >
>> > Original exception was:
>> > Traceback (most recent call last):
>> >   File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/UI/BrowserModel.py", line 113, in
>> > headerData
>> >     if orientation == Qt.Horizontal and role == Qt.DisplayRole:
>> > RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded in cmp
>> > Error in sys.excepthook:
>> > Traceback (most recent call last):
>> >   File "./eric4.py", line 111, in excepthook
>> >     logFile = os.path.join(unicode(Utilities.getConfigDir()),
>> > "eric4_error.log")
>> >   File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/Utilities/__init__.py", line 980, in
>> > getConfigDir
>> >     if sys.platform == "win32":
>> > RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded in cmp
>> >
>> > Darren
>>
>> cmp is a Python function. It seems it is invoked by '=='. I have no idea
>> why
>> it should go into an infinite loop.
>>

> I don't think cmp or == is causing python to go into an infinite loop. I
> think I'm seeing a problem in eric4.py's excepthook, and everytime it is
> encountered and tries to raise an exception, it recurses into excepthook
> again.

I tried commenting out the line setting sys.excepthook in eric4.py, and then
I ran into trouble with ubuntu jaunty's python-apport, which further
obfuscated the problem. I uninstalled python-apport and now I see:

RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth
exceeded

RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth
exceeded

Traceback (most recent call
last):

  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/Project/ProjectFormsBrowser.py", line
1070, in handlePreferencesChanged

ProjectBaseBrowser.handlePreferencesChanged(self)

  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/UI/Browser.py", line 286, in
handlePreferencesChanged
    self.model().preferencesChanged()
  File
"/home/darren/Projects/eric4/Project/ProjectBrowserSortFilterProxyModel.py",
line 69, in preferencesChanged
    BrowserSortFilterProxyModel.preferencesChanged(self)
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/UI/BrowserSortFilterProxyModel.py", line
107, in preferencesChanged
    hideNonPublic = Preferences.getUI("BrowsersHideNonPublic")
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/Project/ProjectResourcesBrowser.py",
line 777, in handlePreferencesChanged
    ProjectBaseBrowser.handlePreferencesChanged(self)
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/UI/Browser.py", line 286, in
handlePreferencesChanged
    self.model().preferencesChanged()
  File
"/home/darren/Projects/eric4/Project/ProjectBrowserSortFilterProxyModel.py",
line 69, in preferencesChanged
    BrowserSortFilterProxyModel.preferencesChanged(self)
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/UI/BrowserSortFilterProxyModel.py", line
107, in preferencesChanged
    hideNonPublic = Preferences.getUI("BrowsersHideNonPublic")
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/Project/ProjectTranslationsBrowser.py",
line 1070, in handlePreferencesChanged
    ProjectBaseBrowser.handlePreferencesChanged(self)
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/UI/Browser.py", line 286, in
handlePreferencesChanged
    self.model().preferencesChanged()
  File
"/home/darren/Projects/eric4/Project/ProjectBrowserSortFilterProxyModel.py",
line 69, in preferencesChanged
    BrowserSortFilterProxyModel.preferencesChanged(self)
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/UI/BrowserSortFilterProxyModel.py", line
107, in preferencesChanged
    hideNonPublic = Preferences.getUI("BrowsersHideNonPublic")
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./Plugins/ViewManagerPlugins/Tabview/Tabview.py", line 971, in
preferencesChanged
    ViewManager.preferencesChanged(self)
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/ViewManager/ViewManager.py", line 4622,
in preferencesChanged
    self.__enableSpellingActions()
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/ViewManager/ViewManager.py", line 2848,
in __enableSpellingActions
    spellingAvailable = SpellChecker.isAvailable()
  File "/home/darren/Projects/eric4/QScintilla/SpellChecker.py", line 78, in
isAvailable
    return len(enchant.list_languages()) > 0
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/enchant/__init__.py", line 418, in
list_languages
    for (tag,prov) in self.list_dicts():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/enchant/__init__.py", line 397, in
list_dicts
    return [ (r[0],ProviderDesc(*r[1])) for r in self.__list_dicts_result]
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/enchant/__init__.py", line 406, in
__list_dicts_callback
    name = name.decode("utf-8")

Darren