[Eric] Migrating from eric 3 / QT 3 to eric 4 / QT 4

Stephen Schaub sschaub at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:47:25 BST 2009

I teach PyQt GUI development with Eric in a University-level Unix
Programming class, and have a question about migrating to eric4 / QT 4.

With eric3 / QT 3, I used the following approach to develop applications:
1. Use Qt Designer to do the GUI layout for a window and define custom
slots.
2. Use eric to compile the form and generate a subclass
3. Override the custom slots in the subclass and put event handling code in
them

With eric4, I am able to compile a .ui file to a PyQt class. But I don't see
any wizard to generate a subclass, as in eric 3. If there isn't one, we can
manage; I just thought I would ask, in case I was missing it.

Also, the PyQt docs indicate that there are several ways of subclassing
pyuic4-generated classes:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/PyQt4/pyqt4ref.html#using-the-generated-code

I would prefer to use the PyQt 3 approach. But I can't figure out how to
wire up the signals in the Designer to custom slots in my Python code (as I
could with designer 3 / eric 3). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

--
Stephen Schaub