[Eric] Re: eric4 and ipython

vel.accel at gmail.com vel.accel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 05:19:17 GMT 2007

>On Tuesday 10 October 2006 17:33, humufr at ... wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know if that will be possible to use ipython with eric4
>> instead of the normal python console?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> N.

>No. Eric uses it's own console, which talks to a remote Python (or Ruby)
>interpreter via a network socket.

>Regards,
>Detlev
>--
>Detlev Offenbach
>detlev at ...

Just to clarify for future inquiries:

To set ipython to be the default:

Python honors the environment variable PYTHONSTARTUP and will execute
   at startup the file referenced by this variable. If you put at the
end     of this file the following two lines of code:    import
IPython      IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop(sys_exit=1)

Or you can obviously just type it into eric's shell console after start-up.

-Dieter