[Eric] Autocompletion and other editing problems

John Bell jfb3 at rocketdolphin.com
Fri Jan 26 22:05:12 GMT 2007

I just installed Eric3 on my workstation (linux) and tried it out.

The Autocompletion check-box is checked, "Case Sensitive" is un-checked.
The Calltips checkbox is enabled in Preferences/Editor/Calltips.

I think I configured the API extras correctly:  with the drop down set to
"python" the list box shows "/opt/eric/extras".  This is the directory
where I dropped in the api files for PyQt and PyKDE.  (BTW, which version
of the api files, 3.11.1 or 3.11.3 matches to pykde-3.5.5 from kde.org)

Eric seems to only attempt auto-completion from the file being worked on.
If I do the following:

=====================
import os

print os.
=====================
then hit ctrl-space (after the period) nothing happens.  Nothing at all.

I was expecing a drop down with things like path, etc

If I:
=====================
import kdecore
x = kdecore.(ctrl+space)
=====================
I still don't get any auto-completing goodness.

I also noticed that the autocompletion preference setting was a radio
button choice of *either* api files *or* document.  Surely this is a
mistake and they should be check boxes, that should be fixed soon, right?

I've changed the preference from api to document and back, restarted the
app, "Reload the APIs", ctrl+space, ctrl+shift+space, and ctrl+alt+space
all to no avail.

Is this broken or am I doing something wrong?

Also I have the "Auto indention after':'" option checked in the
Preferences/Editor/Python Lexer properties but it doesn't seem to indent
after a colon as I'm coding unless I've created a project first and
included the source file in that project.  I hope this isn't what was
planned as this limits out ability to create non-project scripts.

/jfb3