[Eric] What am I doing wrong in 4.0.1 (speed issues)?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Aug 6 22:42:13 BST 2007

On 06.08.07 17:04:04, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using Eric3 for quite a long while now (very happy with it).
> Upgraded my machines to Eric4 (4.0.1) last week (Eric3's dependencies don't
> build for me any more) and I'm seeing extremely slow operations throughout the
> interface.  That is, expanding a tree branch in the project browser takes 5-6s,
> slower.  Typing is noticeably slower.  Same project took maybe 3-4 seconds on
> Eric3.  Tree expansion is almost instantaneous there.
>
> I've disabled most of the typing-enhancement features, so they are not likely
> the source of the problem.  I'm running on a ridiculously powerful machine
> (dual core AMD 4800+, though Eric only seems to use the one core) on Gentoo
> Linux on a KDE 3.5 desktop using stock KDE (i.e. no Beryl).  There's 4GB of RAM
> and nothing else of note running on the box.  I'm seeing the same slowdown (but
> more painfully) on an older P4 laptop using i386 (instead of amd64), so it's
> not likely a 64-bit issue.

Yes, although the issue is much more present on windows than on linux
here. My 1.4GHz laptop only shows real performance problems on file
tree's that have really large number of entries (/usr/share,
/usr/share/doc). On my own relatively small projects and also eric4
sources I don't have a real problem (although its not really snappy).

> So, my question is basically; is there some known issue where I can flip some
> switch and get back to Eric3/Qt3 performance levels?  If not, is there a
> reasonable way to profile Eric in order to find out what's taking all the time?

Well, one way to make eric4 more snappy is if the fetching of the
directory entries wouldn't be done in the GUI thread, but a separate
thread and then this thread would send the data to the GUI thread (to
create the model items) every once in a while, so you see a directory
populating.

Also I suspect (no evidence, neither hard numbers, nor tryout with
sample programs) that PyQt4 is not fast enough to handle the many
qmodelindex conversions needed for Interview.

Andreas

--
If you sow your wild oats, hope for a crop failure.