Critical issue with latest QScintilla wheels

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sun May 14 17:02:22 BST 2023

Am 14.05.23 um 17:51 schrieb Phil Thompson:
> On 05/05/2023 10:11, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just updated PyQt6-QScintilla to the latest version on a Debian
>> Bullseye system (Debian 11.7). Unfortunately that does not work
>> because PyQt6-WScintilla 2.14.0 is compiled against libc 2.32 while
>> Debian has libc 2.31. The same issue will happen on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
>>
>> The error message is:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>> ImportError: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not
>> found (required by
>> ~/environments/eric7_env/lib/python3.9/site-packages/PyQt6/Qsci.abi3.so)
>>
>> Would it be possible to provide PyQt6-QScintilla wheel compatible with
>> these distros as well?
>
> There is a bug in that the wheel tag should be manylinux_2_32 which
> would mean that a distro with an old glibc would instead install
> v2.13.4 and run correctly. I will fix that.
>
> The underlying issue is when to drop support for older distros. I take
> my cue from the current list of supported platforms...
>
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/supported-platforms.html
>
> Qt v6.5 started to use Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, so I did too. I see that a
> new version of Debian is due next month.

That is right. However, Debian Bullseye will still exist for some time.
And the up-to-date openSUSE still uses the old glibc (2.31).
Nevertheless, at least eric can work with both QScintilla versions. If
the wheel tag gets fixed and the automatism pulls the right version
again, that would be OK for me.

Detlev

--

Detlev Offenbach