[QScintilla] Another brave soul trying to install Eric4 on OS X

Dav Clark dav at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 25 23:29:35 BST 2007

I'm in the process of compiling and installing Eric4 and dependencies
on OS X 10.4.9.

The only problem is that there seems to be no install logic for the
project on OSX.  I also seem to be unable to get qmake to work in
"unix" mode and "makefile" mode - both of which should work fine
AFAIK on OS X.

Given that none of the "smart" tools seem to work, I simply went by
hand and copied the files to places where the system tools would find
them in /usr/local.

specifically, I copied .../Qt4/build/Release/libqscintilla.dylib to /
usr/local/lib

(note you will only have this is you built the non-default "Release"
target)

And then cp -r'd .../Qt4/Qsci to /usr/local/include

Then, when I built PyScintilla, I simply gave '-n /usr/local/include'
and '-o /usr/local/lib' arguments.  The default place for them is /
usr/include and /Library/Frameworks.  I suppose you could even leave
them where they were.  The python items end up in your proper site-
packages dir...

This kind of information would also give developers on OS X pretty
much everything they need - why not put this in your documentation
and expand your potential customer base?

Another gotcha is that the project builds by default in "debug" mode
on OS X.  You probably don't want that if you're simply using the thing.

Of course, having done that, we're not out of the water yet...

First, eric4's script by default wants pythonw to live in /Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin/pythonw

But, by default, that doesn't exist.  I created a link to my /usr/
local/bin/pythonw2.4

Then, the system complains of not finding translation files:

Warning: translation file 'qt_en_US'could not be loaded.
Using default.
Warning: translation file 'eric4_en_US'could not be loaded.
Using default.
Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_en_US'could not be loaded.
Using default.

I assume these are unecessary.

And, (fingers crossed) everything seems to be working!

Cheers,
Dav Clark
917-544-8408