Issue with PyQt6 on PyPI

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri Apr 26 12:11:55 BST 2024

Hey,

> They take advantage of the binary compatibility "promises" of Qt so
> that you can use, for example, PyQt6 v6.x with Qt6 v6.x+1. However
> those "promises" cannot be relied on these days

FWIW, while accidental ABI breaks definitely have happened in Qt before,
I don't think the blame is on Qt for this one.

QFont::tagToString() was marked preliminary in Qt 6.6:
https://doc.qt.io/archives/qt-6.6/qfont.html#tagToString

While I'm struggling to find this written down anywhere, it seems
reasonable to assume ABI breaks can happen in API marked as preliminary.

I wonder if it'd make sense for PyQt to avoid exposing such API (or at
least hide it between some build flag which is disabled by default)
until Qt declares it stable.

Florian