[PyQt] Qt Creator / Designer extensibility

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Jan 16 11:50:06 GMT 2016

On Friday 15 January 2016, 22:29:13 Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:
> On 15.01.2016 18:00, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > Why not use an IDE made for Python and Qt development? The eric IDE
> > could be the tool of choice (http://eric-ide.python-projects.org).
>
> Of course I know Eric, at least from the newsgroup announcements and the
> screenshots. Actually I'm using a different IDE which is also
> implemented in Qt.
> Nowadays, I would not recommend programming Python without a decent IDE
> as it boost productivity, especially when it allows to code at the
> debugger breakpoint.
>
> Probably Eric is the IDE with the best Qt support, as it has some
> assistants to implement message boxes etc..
> But that's still not a GUI builder for the casual programmer (or "domain
> expert" as someone on c.l.p. names such people).
> Or am I mistaken here? Does it have more support?
>
> My experience with Qt Creator is very limited. I did use it some years
> ago to get into Qt when I wanted to write some software for my N900
> phone. The software is still alive on a Jolla phone today, but I have
> not been using Qt Creator for years.
>
> I think it's still the same procedure nowadays:
>   a) design the GUI
>   b) save it to .ui
>   c) compile it to .py
>   d) write another .py file which imports the other .py file, defines
> the app, calls setupUI, ...
>
> Well, now imagine a colleague who asks you "Can I use Python to
> implement a GUI program for doing some measurements?"
> Just demo the above procedure. At a) and b) everything is fine. At c)
> you will get some strange looks. At d) your colleague will ask you
> whether there is a different tool.
> For a start, probably steps b to d could be handled by an IDE even
> without too tight integration into Qt Creator. Maybe the Python code
> created from the ui file could look a bit nicer than I remember it.

And that's the point where eric can help. An eric project shows the files on distinct tabs of
its project viewer/manager. On there you can ask a .ui file being compiled to Python via
the context menu and you can ask eric to create a skeleton of the correlated Python script.

> Regards,

Detlev--
*Detlev Offenbach*
detlev at die-offenbachs.de