[PyQt] pyqt4 with python2.6.4 in Houdini

Christos Parliaros cparliaros at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 03:05:09 GMT 2012

I am have a problem when I am importing QtGui from PyQT4 inside Houdini's
python.

import PyQt4 is without errors but the QtGui gives the same error:
>>> from PyQt4 import QtCore
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PyQt4/QtCore.so: undefined
symbol: _PyByteArray_empty_stri
ng
Houdini in my machine uses its own python2.6.4 and not system's python2.6.7
but Houdini's python calling pyqt4 from system's python with:

*>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.append('/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages')*
*
*
and maybe thats the problem, the small difference between the two python
versions. PyQt in stadard python works fine. Any idea why is this
happening, how to fix it? Do I have to install python2.6.4 in my system
also in order to much with Houdini's and if yes, which version of pyqt I
should install? Does linux choose the right one based on the python
installed in the system?

cheers
--
Christos Parliaros