[PyQt] Embedding MPlayer in a QWidget // painting problems

Timothy W. Grove tim_grove at sil.org
Fri Sep 9 14:55:50 BST 2011

Thanks, I'm giving VLC a try and it seems to be working okay. Probably a
question for the VLC forums (I'll copy a post there in a minute...), but
I don't understand why I can't get autocropping to work. I'm using
"""self.Instance = vlc.Instance("--no-audio", "--play-and-pause",
"--autocrop") """ within my program, and I've tried using the same
arguments on the command line but no joy. Should I be adding any other
arguments to include this filter? I'm using the precompiled version of
vlc.py which came with the Qt bindings; under Windows 7, PyQt4 and
Python 3.2.

MPlayer was also working well embedded into a QWidget, only the
background was destroyed in resizing when paused or stopped as described
in my earlier posting below. I attempted also to take screenshots using
QPixmap.grabWindow() and .grabWidget() but these only return an empty
image. I'd still like to understand this behaviour if anyone has any
ideas. Thanks.

Best regards,
Timothy Grove