[PyQt] PyQt installation

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Wed Mar 16 11:04:57 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 16 March 2011, 10:21:33 Pablo Campomanes wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to install the latest stable version of PyQt in my
> computer (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5).
>
> First, I installed SIP from source code (sip-4.12.1.tar.gz) in a
> non-standard folder (/software/sip-4.12.1) using the following
> protocol based on configure, make and make install:

>-------- python configure.py --bindir /software/sip-4.12.1/ \
> --destdir /software/sip-4.12.1 --incdir /software/sip-4.12.1/ \
> --sipdir /software/sip-4.12.1/ --static

This cannot work without messing with the subsequent build procedure.
If you install the python sip module in an arbitrary path, you need to
make sure, that the python interpreter prefers it over your already
installed version: set PYTHONPATH accordingly, and then check:

import sipconfig
print "sip: %s" % sipconfig._pkg_config['sip_version_str']

Since you fiddled with _all_ these paths, you need to tell the PyQt
build about _all_ of them, to get that built properly.

[...]

> Then, I included the non-standard folder in my $PATH  variable so
> that:
>
> $ which sip
> /software/sip-4.12.1/sip

sip is a python module code generator, that consists from more then just
a binary. It creates an infrastructure, that subsequent sip users rely
on.

> And finally, I tried to install PyQt-x11-gpl-4.8.3 from the sources.
> But when i tried to run configure, I found the following error
> message:
>
> $ python configure.py
> Error: This version of PyQt requires SIP v4.12.1 or later

Also, you seem to have an older sip installed. Please deinstall all
packages, you're about to rebuild to avoid further confusion.

> I tried to find information about this issue, but I could not solve
> the problem. Could anybody shed light on this problem?

IOW:
    I've shot myself in the knee, and now, it hurts so much, but I don't
    find hints on the web, how to get rid from the pain...

The obvious answer: don't shoot yourself in the knee in the first place,
or visit a doctor. Well, the latter you did.

Welcome.

Pete