[PyQt] since SIP 4.10: closures loosing outer variables!

Wilbert Berendsen wbsoft at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 13 21:47:35 GMT 2010

Hi,

since my system upgraded SIP to 4.10 (and KDE to 4.4) my own PyKDE4 app
Frescobaldi has strange garbage collection issues all over the place, with
error messages like:

NameError: free variable 'docGroup' referenced before assignment in enclosing
scope

It seems that when I connect a local or lambda function to a Qt signal, the
function remains alive but it looses the references its outer variables! The
objects those outer variables point to are still there (they work as usual),
but they just become unreachable from local or lambda functions.

I can circumvent the problem by passing in those outer variables as default
arguments, but that is kind of clumsy.

How come the outer variables are garbage collected but the function containing
them not? Is this a bug in SIP or PyQt or should I adapt a different coding
style? (i.e. without anonymous or local functions) ? ...

w best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--
http://www.wilbertberendsen.nl/