[PyQt] Memory Release question

Darryl Wallace darryl.wallace at prosensus.ca
Wed Feb 3 17:08:30 GMT 2010

Hello,

Quick question and sorry if it's been discussed before.  I'm using Python
2.5, Qt 4.5.3 and PyQt 4.4.4, sip 4.7.9 on Windows 7 all built with VS2008.
 I'm wondering how memory from destroyed objects are released back to the
operating system.

If I take the MDI example and start that program, it's using 11,060K of ram.
 Creating a new document in the MDI (by clicking the "new" button on the
toolbar brings the ram usage up to 11,376K.  Upon closing the document, ram
usage went down to 11,372K.  After a minute or so it went down to 11,340K.
 Why doesn't it go back to closer to 11,060?

I would guess that when the QTextEdit object was destroyed, that the memory
it used would be returned.

Can anyone provide some info?

Thanks,
Darryl