[PyQt] problem in making pyqt up and running...

python.noob jebagnanadas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 13:42:51 GMT 2009

Hi friends,
             I've recently changed to ubuntu 9.04.. I've not had any problem
with the installation of pyqt as it is available from the ubuntu
repositories with umpteen number of packages.. Anyhow i've to download
tarball file for python 3.1 and installed it.. I found that PyQt4 supports
python 3.1(Am i right?)..

I wanted to check the pyqt installation with a sample program..

import sys
from PyQt4 import QtGui
app=QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
widget=QtGui.QWidget()
widget.resize(250,150)
widget.setWindowTitle('Simple')
widget.show()
sys.exit(app.exec_())

when i issued the command
$python simple.py
it worked perfectly since it's executed with 2.6 installation..
But when i tried to execute it with
$python3 simple.py
it showed the error like
ImportError: No module named PyQt4
So i searched the sys.path for 2.6 and included
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
in python3 sys.path...
Now when i tried to run this with python3 :working: the error is like..
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PyQt4/QtGui.so: undefined
symbol: PyString_FromString :confused:
I got the same error when i tried to execute another program... So can u
please tell me how to solve this problem?? Am i heading in the right
direction???... %-|%-|

Thanks & Regards...