[PyQt] pylupdate4 bug?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Sun Nov 15 14:04:58 GMT 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:28:36 +0100, Michele Petrazzo - Unipex
<michele.petrazzo at unipex.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> just discovered that pylupdate4 has a problem with empty docstring. If I
> forgot to write at least one character inside the docstring space,
> pylupdate4 stops to look for new string translation.
>
> class Main(Qtclass):
>      def __init__(self):
>          """"""
>
>      def test(self):
>          """simple docstring"""
>          return self.trUtf8("test")
>
> generate:
>
> pylupdate4: main.py:9: Unterminated string
> pylupdate4: Updating 'i18n/i18nit.ts'...
> pylupdate4:     Found 0 source texts (0 new and 0 already existing)
>
> adding a simgle char ("a") to the first docstring:
>
> pylupdate4: Updating 'i18n/i18nit.ts'...
> pylupdate4:     Found 1 source text (1 new and 0 already existing)

Fixing this properly is very risky as the parsing code isn't the greatest
in the world. Instead I've clarified the error message.

One day I'll get round to a Python version of pylupdate which uses the
interpreter to do the parsing.

Thanks,