[PyQt] Licensing redux
corzaire at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:19:39 BST 2009
I've been following the PyQt mailing lists with some interest lately,
waiting for an announcement that the 4.5 bindings have been released, and,
presumably, that some certainty regarding the licensing question has been
achieved. I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting - in fact, I think a large
chunk of the Python community is probably as interested as I am. If PyQt
DOES move towards the LGPL, it is likely that PyQt usage will increase
dramatically, and that the library might even become the new de-facto GUI
standard for Python.
Now, I'm usually a patient man, and up until now I've not bothered Phil or
the list to see if some conclusion has been reached. But I have a problem: I
need to make a decision about which GUI toolkit to use for a new product in
the next few weeks. Understand that we will be renewing our commercial
licenses for PyQt no matter what. Our new product has a library component
that needs to include GUI functionality, and that needs to be available as a
usable API to our clients to build their own commercial products on. No
combination of the GPL or or PyQt commercial license can make PyQt usable in
this situation, but the LGPL would be fine. So, without a licensing change,
it's definitely WxPython for us.
So, with this preamble, I would like to know if:
a) Some decision regarding licensing has been reached. Phil? Anyone?
b) There is an estimated prodution release date for the 4.5 bindings, at
which time all will presumably become clear.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the PyQt