[PyQt] qtdirs.app can't load QtCore

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Thu Jun 25 12:10:05 BST 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:54:37 -0500, Dave Peterson <dpeterson at enthought.com>
wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Dave.

> I'm trying to build PyQt 4.5.1 from source on Mac OSX 10.5 x86 and I'm
> running into a problem right from the start in that the qtdirs.app built
> during the configure step won't run because it won't load QtCore.   I've
> done an otool -L on "qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs" and it doesn't
> have any path prefix in front of the reference to QtCore.

Mine does.

> Note that my Qt install is *not* a standard install.  It is a custom
> build installed into
> "/Users/dpeterson/py/qtbuild/install/Qt-4.5.1-1.egg/EGG-INFO/usr".   I
> have verified I can run all the Qt apps, tools, and demos from this
> install.   I have exported QTDIR set to this path prior to invoking
> PyQt's configure.py script.  It looks like the build of the qtdirs.app
> is picking up all the right paths for this install.  But it looks to me
> like PyQt's qtdirs.app assumes that the various Qt frameworks are in the
> system location, even though configure explicitly passed the right
> location for my frameworks via a -F flag to g++.   Is this a bug with
> PyQt's qtdirs build process?

Is your QTDIR/bin directory on your PATH?

If you are compiling Qt yourself then it isn't installed in any standard
system location anyway. I build it myself, but to the standard location
which is /usr/local/Trolltech.

I'll trying building Qt in a non-default directory to see if I can
reproduce the problem.